Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Exploring the Filipino Psyche Day 9: "Music"

I walked our busy streets once and took the rhythm of pace everyone had in the daily grind of commutes. I stopped for a moment and checked items being sold in the streets when this young girl--I suppose an 8-year-old--burst into song. She was a sampaguita vendor who may had decided to take a short break from selling and performed for no one really, but herself. She looked at items while on her right wrist hung leis of sampaguita. It seemed like such an effortless exercise for her to reach the level of performance in her singing. I felt like I entered a musical, where one character of the story sings and all extras in the scene simply continue with their hustle, undisturbed by the sudden melody that filled their routine. So I stepped back and observed more. And, yes, recalling moments of then, I remembered, I have seen this before--lots of times even: A quiet place with rumblings of noise, or no sound heard until one person breaks the silence with his or her song. Yes, a common practice.

Filipinos love music. Sometimes the songs I hear are not of my preference, but that does not really matter, that is off the point. The point is we Pinoys need to have a melody we enjoy. It may be in the background while we have a few drinks or a conversation with family and friends. Or on the foreground as we sing along with guitars and pianos, a jukebox or a 'magic sing'. I have witnessed many times of a sudden explosion of song, or a simple hum of a famous tune. One time , while I was typing away, someone using the other computer suddenly sang at the top of her voice. No one budged, everyone simply continued to do their own thing. And another time was when the one who sat beside me decided to hum while studying. A shirtless man in the beach scratches the bulge of his tummy. And while he does this, he sings. Those who help us at home may sweep or wipe furniture, and as they do this, they sing.

The nice thing, though, is that many of us can carry a tune. So to hear someone use their voice with a melody is usually a delight more than an invasion of space. Many of us can sing. I guess that is why an entrepreneur was confident enough to put up a whole restaurant with singing cooks and waiters. I think many of our Asian brothers and sisters have found out about the Filipinos' singing skill since my friend who works in Malaysia is always asked to sing. His friends would say, "You're Filipino, right? Sing for us. " They see us as good singers. And it is not just our Asian friends, it seems to me that even those from farther countries have already discovered the Filipinos great ability to sing. We have David Foster, the manager of Charice, planning to come back and look for more talents here. And there is Claude-Michel Schonberg, producer of famous musicals such as Les Miserable, who, after choosing Lea Salonga and the first batch of Filipinos for the first run of Ms. Saigon, continued to favor numerous Pinoys for the said musical that also played in different countries. Lea Salonga went on winning a Laurence Olivier and a Tony. This talent has opened doors for many: Jovit Baldovino, a siomai vendor then, has an album which is now the number one selling album in the country; Arnel Pineda, who admittedly told the public that he was not in a good state then because he was a drug user, is now the lead singer of an internationally famous band named 'Journey; and Charice Pempengco, a young lady from humble beginnings, was discovered first by Ms. Ellen Degeneres then by Oprah, is now an international star who sings side by side with Celine Dion, Josh Grobin and the like. Their love for music has carried out a strong hold on where their passion rests, and it is through their great passion that they found this voice, their calling. Their love for music led them to a destiny they, I believe, never even dreamed of.

Music is something we Filipinos find enjoyment in. With music, we entertain guests and socialize. This makes me remember this one time when I went on a solo trip to Puerto Galera. Nothing with me but my clothes and my diary, in case I needed, well, something to talk to. I met this nice lady who sat beside me while I was eating in Claudio's bar (anyone who has gone to White Beach several times know who Claudio is, but my solo trip was years back so I don't know if Claudio's place is still there). The woman started to chat with me. I told her about why I was alone, that I always had wanted to go to Puerto Galera on my lonesome to see what it was like without my friends around. She looked at me sympathetically and caressed my arm ever so gently. I think she was convinced that I was some defensive, friendless weirdo. So with a kind soft voice she said, "Okay...okay..." What a kind woman, I think. Then she said, "Likha, sama ka sa 'kin. Mag didisco tayo (Come with me. Let's go to a disco)." And I said yes to the invitation. So that night she brought me to a diskuhan. I never experienced dancing to 'Achy Breaky Heart' so many times before under a mirror ball. But who was I to complain? I was there to enjoy what she enjoyed--so I did.

The next day, I walked around the beach until I reached a little place which was owned by two members of the 'Pinikpikan' band (sorry, I forgot their names, I think one of them is Joey). I would love to share with you this story, but even though these two men are from a band which I really like, the tale I have of them is not related to music. But maybe briefly I shall write about it: What these two men do is that they save plants. Every time a residential home or an establishment is to be built on an empty lot, friends and neighbors inform the two band members about it. And what these two band members do is that they save as many plants as they can in these empty lot and rehabilitate them in their green house. They also told me that they had seen many rare plants around the area. "We want to make these rare plants common again." They told me. They help as much plants as they can. I think that is really great of them.

After meeting the 'Pinikpikan' band members, I went to the place which was actually one of my main objectives for going to Puerto Galera, aside from 'alone' time, was to meet Lars Jorgensen and Monica Ray, the founders of the Stairway Foundation. Lars and Monica are a beautiful couple from Denmark. They put up the foundation in 1991. I discovered them through a CD I bought of 'Goldtooth', a musical about street kids by street kids. They were called TASK (Talented Ambitious Street Kids). They even had Rolly, the singer of Cocojam, a band I also like very much, as their lyricist for the Filipino songs and also the person in charge of music. What Lars and Monica would do is look for the neediest street children in Manila, then they would bring them to their foundation in Puerto Galera and help the children gain again a sense of dignity and value by making these children explore their own sense of creativity. Stairway Foundation's 'Goldtooth, A Street Children's Musical' performed in Manila and in different countries.

So here we are, a country with so much talent. Our streets are even filled with it. Our prison cells are also composed of it (Cebu inmates). Music is our life enhancer. Some of us listen to the same songs again and again, and others perform with it and evolve because of their love for music and creativity. And in a country where problems are quite grave and remedies are, at least for the moment, still a few (although I do believe that we are slowly getting the change we badly need. Have faith, we'll get there) music relieves us from our pain. Music, I believe, is our entry to a world out of difficulty and into the hands of hope and happiness. It brings us to a place where everything is okay and troubles are forgotten even for at least that moment we have music with us. But at the same time it also makes us reflect on our sorrow, and soothes us from the disturbance hardships give us.

And because of all these, I see it as the reason why music in our country is not just something we like. It is not even something we simply love. It is something we love with a passion. A passion so great that no matter how raw we begin with it, for many of us, we improve in it. Music is our outlet, our therapy. It is something we connect with, and in the end, we do not see it as separate from us, but something we are one with, something that becomes our very own. It is not just a pleasantry which gives us simple delight only. For once we fall in love with it, it does not become the sound from the background, but the melody that fills us up. Sometimes like a guide who wakes us up to an idea or thought. Sometimes like a confidante who allows us to feel our sorrow. Sometimes like a pal who helps us enjoy and dance. And sometimes like an angel who whispers, "You've got a gift--use it." And with its help, our passion for different fields are revealed: our innovativeness, our unique contribution to this world of ours, and even our celebration of 'self'.

Whatever it does to us, whether it is for enjoyment, it is for reflection, it is for an awakening, music plays a vital role. We may chant a song, hum a tune, or sing our vocal chords to its highest ability, dance a beat, or play a harmonious rhythm, it does not matter, to most of us, music will always be our best friend.

To learn more about Stairway Foundation Inc, please visit this link: www.stairwayfoundation.org

Thank you, let us not forget that there are those who need us. And there are those who have begun to show us how to help more. Let us make our lives not just a blessing to us, but a blessing to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment