Thursday, January 20, 2011

Exploring the Filipino Psyche Day 10: "Inuman Na!" (It's Drinking Time!)

Sometimes I wonder if this exploration is solely Filipino or maybe, somehow or sometimes, I touch on mainly just the human psyche. Since I really think in this core of ours--the depths covered by all differences in superficialities--is this sameness. Not a partial similarity, but a whole exactness. And maybe it is here where we truly understand each other, that no matter what race or nationality one is from, we can relate to another because it does not only come from a culture of a country, but from human interest. I may never know the answer to this curiosity, so this will be just one of those hanging questions that does not have an absolute answer to it, which is all fine to me...I guess.

And one thing I think many would understand is beer, or just plain alcohol. Now why is it that in every festivity alcohol is part of the fun? This I cannot see as purely a Filipino practice since this is done in many parts of the world. Germany has its Oktoberfest, the Irish are known to be a happy bunch as they celebrate their happiness with a few, or a few more, drinks. In different continents the enjoyment with a drink of beer, a hard drink or a glass of wine is a common exercise. Alcohol assists the delight of the night, or maybe day, with friends and the party mood. It seems like a drink with the possibility of leaving one a little dizzy is a preferred fate. As it is true in others, it is true in the Philippines too.

The most famous beer in the Philippines is San Miguel. With its international appeal, many still choose this brand more than others. Pale Pilsen is for the loyal supporters of its original taste. Cerveza Negra for those who like the tinge of bitterness in their beer. And San Mig Light has become a favorite, kicking out Super Dry and NAB (Non-alcoholic beer) of the brand. I like San Miguel, but I think Manila beer is not bad.

For the Filipinos, a night, or maybe sometimes mornings and afternoons, of drinking is how we bond with friends. Maybe this is the reason why among all the tag lines of San Miguel Beer, it is the 'Iba ang may pinagsamahan (There is nothing like good bonding)' line that we closely associate with the beer. And in our country, while we drink, we eat: sisig, grilled squid, gambas, sizzling button mushrooms and the like. We also have the exotic food balut that really goes well with a bottle of beer. And alcohol being a close companion of cigarettes for many.

So here we go again, the 'why' part. Why, I wonder, don't we just drink juice when bonding with friends? Just the question alone makes me feel how quite corny that would be if we indeed only ordered something like a glass of cold sago't gulaman when out with friends. It is not like I do not like my sago't gulaman. I love sago't gulaman. But somehow the drink does not require friends, and I don't think my friends who smoke would think of having a cigarette with it. Maybe siomai will be better in this combination. Coffee is for a quaint night with friends who plan to chat, or with breakfast in the morning. Egg nog and hot cocoa is for Christmas and New Year's eve, water is for energy, wine is for fine dining, but alcohol, per se, is for bonding--a fun night with friends and acquaintances.

I went out with a few of my close friends the other night, and unlike me in my 20s, I cannot seem to drink much anymore. One time I went out and only had water the whole night or juice. And somehow being in a bar with a glass of orange juice in my hand did not gel well with the setting (although I have to say, come morning of the next day, I still felt fine and dandy, unlike a night of too much alcohol). I enjoyed myself that night, but something seemed to be lacking--my drink with alcohol. I am not promoting alcohol and I am not saying we need it to have fun, but it seems like for many of us maybe, we have gotten used to having it on a night of fun with close and casual friends, and this is not excluding myself. We seem to enjoy the uninhibited feeling it leaves us with when having a few glasses or bottles of alcohol. It makes us feel more relaxed and un-shy. And that is why we want it in parties and fun nights, or sometimes even afternoons.

I remember when I was in my 20s, in college, and would drink a lot when bonding with friends and acquaintances. I always was sort of (or in a big way) a 'just one of the guys' kind of girl. So I would go drinking with my girl friends, or mixed girls and boys, or only with my guy pals. So if other girls felt like Leizl of 'Sound of Music' when her Ralph threw pebbles on her window, or the Juliet of someone's Romeo, I was more of a drinking buddy from a movie somewhat like the 'Dazed and Confused' one. If these women would have men throw pebbles on their window, I would, too, but the dialog would be different.

In Leizl or Juliet's dialog with their Ralph and Romeo, it would have this affect:

As the boy throws pebbles on her window, he might say...

Boy : A thousand seas I shall set sail for thee, my love. For the distance I cannot bear. Thy heart shall beat for only one, as it favors the agreeable cherish of none other but the truth of yours. May you speak thy loveliness, as I wait...

And as the girl looks down, she says...

Girl : Thy heart beats fast indeed. For none other shall I cherish...but you.

A sweet potent exchange between man and woman.

I had pebbles thrown on my window, too. But this was the dialog:

As my buddy throws pebbles on my window, he would say...

Boy: Carla! Inuman na! (Carla! It's drinking time!)

Gurl: Ayos, 'pre! Nanjan na! (Okay, buddy! I'll be down in a minute!)

Short and direct.

If I look back at my drinking history, I may say I have bonded with several people with a bottle or glass of alcohol with me. Since drinking is a social activity for many, there are those whom I had met but do not really know, thus labeling them as simply ka-inuman (drinking acquaintance). They are those people we talk to while having a few a bottles or glasses of our favored alcohol during inuman time (not to mistake inuman time as party, though. Inuman time is just purely that-drinking. It is calling all for a night of drinking). People whom when we see again, we do not recall their names nor stories, for it was just a night of casual chit chats, yet maybe we do remember their faces.

So now I recall this one time when I was at the beach, there was a group of funny gals and boys who invited me to their night of drinking and bonfire by the beach. I said yes to the invitation, and so there we were, laughing away at every joke while a few had their rum cokes, others had beer, and few more a different drink. Come morning, we saw each other walking by the shore, but because we did not know the other's name, we called each other 'bonfire', since aside from the alcohol, we bonded with a bonfire. I remember how happy I was to see them. One shouted, "Uy, bonfire!" And I shouted back, "Bonfire!" It became my name and their name that when they left they said, "Sige, bonfire! Ingat ka (take care)!" And I shouted, "Okay, bonfire! Kayo rin (You too)!" And we waved at each other, never to see each other again.

Again, I am not one to promote drinking, but as this is a mere observation of what is, this is what I have noticed: Drinking is a bonding activity. It is part of parties and fun nights, and even in the bible did Jesus turn water to wine for a ceremonial festivity. So it seems to me that its role is quite significant for many. We drink as we do the little chitchats with people we know casually, or people we know well. There may be just a psychological fondness to it, but fact remains that it often is present. One reason, I assume, is that it makes one feel more relaxed, and inhibitions are removed. It makes one feel more free, to loosen up a little and enjoy the night, the party, the inuman time. But with that being said, I think too much alcohol is not really a good idea. Drink to be merry--a better choice than to drink to be drunk.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment